baskets

baskets

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

What in the world is Pani Popo?



one of my friend from high school said that her friend made Pani Popo and its tasty. ???  I've never heard of Pani Popo and apparently its tasty, which means I had to investigate.   So I started with Google and bam! its a Samoan bun with coconut cream sauce.  Sounds interesting, I like bread, I like coconut cream.  I'm not a big fan of the coconut flakes, I can eat them or not eat them but the cream mmmmm good! There where many sites that said to use frozen rolls like Rhodes but I decided to go with my own rolls recipe. Same recipe I use for my cinnamon rolls.  I'm sure if you ask a Samoan baker its a wrong recipe but that's what I went with.  I used my home bread machine to knead the dough for me. 


my dough: 600gm Bread flour, 1 cup milk, 100gm sugar, 2 eggs, 1 stick butter, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp yeast. put it in your bread machine the same as the machine's instruction.   I cut the dough in half and roll it out then roll it up!

 then slice it just like you would a cinnamon roll. Put them in a baking dish and let rise until size doubles!






 I did a quick method and put it in a warm oven (175F)









 recipe said to mix 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup flour in a bowl until well mixed.







In a pot add 2 cans of coconut milk, 1 cup sugar and the flour water mixture, put over med heat and continue to heat it up until sugar is melted and the liquid is warm.  DO NOT BOIL!!

 Once the coconut mixture is warm pour it over the the pan I know this may seem like there is too much liquid but they will turn into cream sauce so don't worry! let the dough swim in the coconut pool!










bake at 375F until golden brown the sauce will thicken and will be sticking to the bottom of the bun!

No comments:

Post a Comment