baskets

baskets

Monday, April 18, 2011

ban ban ji or bang bang gee, simply we call it chinese chicken salad


Not sure how its spelled but I'm calling it Chinese chicken salad with Japanese flair.  its a Salad with boiled chicken.. simple yet yummy.  The dressing maybe hard to make for some of you who don't have a oriental grocery store but I think lots of normal grocery stores are starting to stock their shelf with some common items.

**basically its a salad so you can use any veggies you can eat raw that you want.**

                                                 What I used:
bib lettuce  also known as butter or Boston ( I like how tender they are)
baby cucumber (I love them because they are cute and not much seeds)
tomatoes (Today I used zima yellow tomato)
green onion           
chicken breast

                                                for the dressing

1-1/2 Tbsp roasted sesame seed grounded
1-1/2 Tbsp Sugar
1-1/2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1-1/2 Tbsp Sesame Oil
1-1/2 Tbsp Rice Vinegar
1 Tbsp Miso (White) optional
if you want it spicy you can add Chinese hot bean paste to your taste (tobanjan)


Boil chicken, while its cooking,  Cut your veggies, set aside.


When chicken is done, drain well, cut into bite size cubes, set aside.

Making dressing:









grind the sesame seed.  I use this tiny Japanese Mortar known as suribachi.  Normally they are big but I have this tiny one.  You can also use coffee grinder.  Clean coffee grinder!


ungrounded sesame seed looks like this








When done should look like this


 white miso looks like this. I said the miso was optional because you may not want to buy a whole package just to use a Table spoon for the dressing but if you do have it in your fridge, please use.  I think it adds depth to your flavor.  If you buy it for the dressing, you can use the miso to make miso soup and other delicious Japanese dishes.



Combine all the ingredients until smooth. set aside.


 I used my triangle bowl today.  I lay the lettuce down,  then the cucumber and lay them out then the tomatoes, sprinkle the green onions leaving some for the top garnish, then cold chicken in the middle, sprinkle with green onion and wha la~ pretty right? serve with the dressing on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment