baskets

baskets

Friday, April 15, 2011

Spiral decoration for basket

Oh What a week I'm having!! I'm not sure if anyone was waiting all day yesterday for me to post the tutorial for the Spiral decorative element but I had one of those week, between kid's hockey, skate lessons, my own craft crop, basket weaving group, and this being Lent add extra day to go to Church, week buzzes by like its a bullet train! I can't believe its Friday! it feels just like yesterday I said I will post a tutorial on next Thursday which would have been yesterday, its apparent that I did not post yesterday because I could not finish it.. anyway enough chit chat, here is the tutorial.. 
You can add spiral to any basket as long as you got 1/2" flat sandwiching 1/4" flat.  I'm sure you can use other size but that's what I use.  I used blue 1/4". 






 I'm using red no.2 round for the spiral.  I think No3 is too thick and no.1 is too thin.. thus no2 is perfect thickness.
cut a little in a angle to make it easier to bend

OH DON'T FORGET TO SOAK YOUR ROUND REAL WELL, AND TOWEL DRY WELL! ESPECIALLY RED COLOR!! THEY WILL BLEED LIKE CRAZY! BUT NEED TO BE MOIST OR THEY WILL BREAK!

You can start on any stake that's over the 1/2" flat weaver.
Stick the no2 end that was cut in a angle making sure that the angle is not showing.




 
stick the other end here like the picture
 pull it through
make it tight














 stick it in here
 pull it up
 until tight then repeat
 keep repeating
until you have 4 rounds on each side 
















 When you have 4 rounds on each side and ends on the top you pull it through the bottom like the picture







and stick the free end on top like the picture and pull it through.
repeat like the first spiral but reversed until you have 4 rounds on each side.  You should end up with the free end on the bottom of the spiral















 now since your free end is on the bottom you pull it through the top side.







then the bottom
pull it though and repeat
















continue this pattern until you finish all the spirals.  Cut the end piece  so they are little more manageable.

 put the free end through







 use a tool and lift up the first spiral you made
tuck the free piece under the spiral







 cut behind the spirals to hide the end.


when its cut you should not be able to see the ends. 


Its done! I think I will use this for our 4th of July bbq and put something in it.. not sure what yet but something.





No comments:

Post a Comment