baskets

baskets

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

What's for dinner?

Tonight I wanted to make something healthy, lower in fat and carbs but tasty that all my family would love.  so I made lettuce wrap/stir fry why is there a slash and a stir fry? Because my very Hoosier husband do not want to eat things wrapped up in lettuce.  so he ate the "stir fry" and we had tasty lettuce wrap.

Before I tell you how I made this yummy concoction let me show you one of my favorite kitchen tool.  I purchased this kitchen aid tool at Marshall's which is like Ross, T.J. Maxx, Home Goods store. I didn't read the packaging, I saw the shape thinking its veggie peeler (I can't stand the ones you peel side ways) and I came home with it, and tried to peel a carrot and I realized I had a shredder!! no matter how I came to own this tool I love it and its one of my favorite tool!
 
                                                                                                     2 small carrots                                 1 small bunch green onion                  1 med onion sliced





                                                        1/2pound bean sprouts washed and drained.  little ginger             and        couple of cloves of garlic
          

 mice it up                                                           1 pound chicken breast sliced

in a frying pan add a  little olive oil, fry up the chicken.






once the chicken is white, add the onion, cook it until the onion is translucent and very limp. 
Add minced garlic and ginger.






Add carrots, 
 add sprouts and green onion don't over cook you want a little crunch.

then add 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce, 2 Tbsp Teriyaki Sauce, 2 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
Stir it up sprinkle with sesame seed.
I found this lovely lettuce at Kroger last night.  
Wash it and dry it





 its so tender and fresh!


make peanut Sauce:  Its kind of a guessing game here because my taste buds could be different from yours and depending on your peanut butter you need to change the amount of sugar, soy and vinegar.  I purchased Simply Jif and it apparently is lower in sugar and taste blah.  I used about 1/2 cup peanut butter, 2 tbsp vinegar, 2 tbsp soy sauce, 3 tbsp sugar. mixed it until its like cake batter consistency. taste it see if you like it, it you want more sour, add vinegar, sweet add sugar, salt add soy sauce to your taste!
put the stuffing on the lettuce, put a little peanut sauce wrap it up and eat it up! Yum!

For variation,  you can try it with water chestnuts, bamboo, Shitake or some kind of Asian mushroom, peanuts, cashews, what ever floats your boat!

No comments:

Post a Comment